Friday, October 2, 2009

Government hospital: emergency ward

A week back while shifting the cooler stand downstairs id managed to injure the middle finger of my right foot. Though it didn’t hurt much to begin with, my jogging for the past few days (just two to be precise) aggravated the pain to such an extent that I came back limping from yesterdays jog.
I’d thought that i'll visit the doctor the day after, conveniently forgetting that it’s Gandhi Jayanti.
That brings us to today.
In the morning I told my mom that I’ll be visiting the doc for a checkup, just to be reminded that it’s a public holiday today, damn!! It really hurt a great deal and I had to see the doc. Only option, go to the emergency service ward of some, hospital.
I had to go drop my mom to school as she had to take her school kids to some Gandhi mela. Since Deen Dayal Upadhaya Hospital (Govt. run) lies en route, I just went there. I was greeted in the emergency ward with people with people who had been shot in the arm, run over by a car, kid who had cracked his spine in a fall and many with less severe problems(on a relative scale)crying out loud in pain. It was an overwhelming sight, comparable to scenes in Hollywood movies depicting doomsday.
After I got my “parchi” made. I described to the doc what had happened, she wrote down something on the prescription and asked me to show it to the nurse is the room next door. The nurse asked me to lie down on the bed, which from the look of it had catered to many patient with ailments much severe than mine and every one of them had left a mark on it. I guess by that time id gone into a state of Trans of sorts, or else I have never accepted to lie on the bed. She gave me a shot and asked me to go for the x-ray.
The wait outside the radiation room was no less traumatizing.
I finally got film, showed it to the doc, and i was out. Nothing serious just some muscle damage. Can begin jogging in two, three days.
No matter in how much pain you are suffering from, there is always other people suffering a hell lot more than you are.

0 comments: